After meetings held in the Cyntheanne Schoolhouse, which sat on the lot diagonally to the East of our current building, and still stands as part of a home on that property, Calvin Granger and W.F. Ackman established the Cyntheanne Christian Church on January 17th, 1886.
|Original Church Leadership|
|Unit C. Shaw||Deacon|
|Original Church Membership|
|Mary Helms||Charter Member|
|Rhonda C. Shaw||Charter Member|
|Mattie Roudebush||Charter Member|
|Mary J. Whetsel||Charter Member|
|Phronia Whetsel||Charter Member|
|Henry Burk||Charter Member|
|Margaret Burk||Charter Member|
|George Bennet||Charter Member|
These founding members held worship services in Schoolhouse No. 7, which still stands today at the corner of SR 238 and Cyntheanne Rd, over six years as they planned their future.
On August 19, 1892 the members met to discuss erecting a house of worship. This house of worship was to be known as Cyntheanne Christian Church. It was at this meeting that five trustees were elected by the congregation.
|John H. Brandom||President|
|Unit C. Shaw||Secretary|
|Calvin Russell Cannaday||Treasurer|
This group along with W.B. Walker and Hamilton Kinnaman made up the building committee. A motion was made that the house of worship be built on the ground adjoining the schoolhouse on the North.
September 23, 1892, the board of trustees met at the schoolhouse to purchase the land, however, the board decided not to build on this site and recommended purchasing one acre of ground from Doras Whetsel. One acre on the Southeast corner of his farm was purchased.
September 26, 1892, L.W. Crouch received the bid to build the house of worship. $1,135.00 was to be paid to Mr. Crouch in the following way: $100.00 when foundation was completed; $400.00 when the frame was erected; $145.00 when house painted; and $490.00 when house was completed on the agreed date of November 15, 1892. Construction began.
The new building was dedicated by L.L. Carpenter the second Sunday in May 1893.
June 25, 1902, came and brought with it a tornado that demolished the church building. The building was completely destroyed, with the miraculous exception of the church pulpit, which was completely untouched. The Bible was still open to the page of text used during the previous services. Not a page had been turned as the building was completely destroyed. Also perfectly intact was the church organ with the lamp still centered neatly on top of it. It was apparent to all, that even though the building had succumbed to the tornado, the Lord had placed His hand of protection over these important items in His house of worship. Hopes were shattered that day and many days of planning, and work was destroyed.
Yet, hope founded in Christ and Love for Him gave the members of Cyntheanne direction as they looked ahead to rebuild.
July 26, 1902, solicitors went out to solicit pledged donations. Ela Helms, William Bentley Cannaday, and Ira Kinnaman were some of the early solicitors. A carpenter was brought to the churchyard to make an estimate on lumber for reconstruction of a house of worship.
July 29, 1902, the members of Cyntheanne Christian Church came full circle and met at the schoolhouse to discuss the future. It was agreed upon that the new building would occupy the same ground as the previous one. The solicitors gave a report and they had $929.25. A building committee was appointed to work with the Trustees in the planning of the house of worship.
|William Bentley Cannaday|
August 5, 1902, Cyntheanne Christian Church’s exterior was coming to completion. Shingles were bought and paint for painting the windows.
August 18, 1902, windows were installed and plastering was completed.
January 11, 1903, Cyntheanne was rebuilt, and rededicated by Samuel Hawthorn.
The years that followed resulted in new achievements. However, during this time of history some of the members passed on to glory. These vacancies were filled periodically.
In the year 1933, a building fund had been started to add a basement, and well at the church.
June 29, 1947, a committee from the Ladies Aid, consisting of Ruby Stephenson, Josie North, and Pearl Foster, met with the Church Board to decide about installing a well; digging a basement; and building a parsonage. Here was the dream of 1933, becoming a reality.
This well was completed in time for the homecoming of the first Sunday of September, 1947. The well was installed with plans of usage by the church and future parsonage. The Ladies Aid and the church shared the cost of the well equally, each paying $79.52.
A basement and oil furnace were discussed, and a committee was appointed with John Underwood, Sr., to supervise the work of digging the basement.
The men of the church and community donated their work in digging 1/4 of the basement. An automatic oil furnace was installed under the supervision of Bud Cauldwell. The furnace was ready for use in December, 1947.
George Burk was appointed as treasurer of the building fund to collect donations, which had been pledged. He was also to pay all other expenses for improving the appearance of the church.
In the year 1948 the remaining 3/4 of the basement was completed and the floors cemented. The Ladies Aid gave $250.00 to the building fund to help defray the expense.
The front addition to the church was built with the entrance to the basement from the front entrance. Later, a back entrance to the basement was made. The old wood house was used to help enclose the main building.
A committee from the Ladies Aid met with the board in regards to redecorating the auditorium and finishing the floors to the new addition. This was completed in 1949. The Church, Ladies Aid, and Sunday School shared the cost.
To further improve their house of worship, the church group in 1966 installed new pews, a hard-pine floor and new carpeting.
In 1970 a new fellowship hall addition was built onto the church sanctuary. The Fellowship Hall was constructed with a full kitchen and was used for Bible study, Sunday school classes, church dinners, and many other activities.
The church had always wanted its own baptistery, but size and weight had always made that impossible. With the advent of fiberglass baptisteries, and improved technology in their manufacture, Bud Cauldwell (Chairman of the Church Board) was convinced that one could be adapted for use in the Cyntheanne Church. After careful measurements and calculations, he was sure that the front door to the church could be temporarily removed, along with its side trim; allowing the baptistery to be brought into the church. He also figured a way to effectively support the extreme weight of the baptistery when filled with water.
In 1995 a new church baptistery was added to the Fellowship Hall with a viewing window in the church sanctuary; thanks to the determination, design, and planning of Bud Cauldwell. Most of the work was done by the construction team affectionately know as the “Julio Brothers”; namely Bud Cauldwell, Tom Heck and Joel Morris (both Deacons and Church Board members).
A new sound system, designed and installed by Dick Cauldwell, was made possible by a donation from Russell Conway in memory of his beloved wife Dorthy.
A new Youth Center, kitchen, classrooms, and restrooms) was added in 2001 and decorated by the ladies of the Cyntheanne Charity Circle.
A 14 foot movie screen and complete audio/video system was added to and installed in the Youth Center in 2001; made possible by donations from the Cyntheanne Ladies Aid, Cyntheanne Youth Group, and Dick Cauldwell. Installation of the audio/video system was performed by Bob Lepper and Dick Cauldwell.
The Fellowship Hall was remodeled with one-half becoming a new combination Church Office and Minister’s Study/Counseling Room, and the other half being a Sunday School classroom/meeting/study area.
The sanctuary of Cyntheanne Christian Church is the only remaining standing structure that was a part of the community/town of Cyntheanne. The first Cyntheanne School House stood on the property diagonally to the east of the church; and is now a part of the home which still stands on that property. The house, originally owned by the Clark family, was built around and incorporated the old school house. The house was later sold to Jesse and Nora Griffey (parents of Doris “Griffey” Cauldwell).
The town of Cyntheanne had its own glass factory (located on the back-side of the Griffey property to the east), and a blacksmith shop which was located on the property once belonging to Earl and Oleta Manship. Artifacts attesting the existence of the glass factory and blacksmith shop can still be found today with a little exploration. The town of Cyntheanne was originally founded by the Whetsel family; and the town was named after, and in memory of their beloved daughter Cyntheanne Whetsel.
This is the church as we know it today. Yes, this is Cyntheanne Christian Church, today, finally, a reality that started with a dream from yesterday. Cyntheanne can thank its members of the past and present for her beginning and her advancements to the present day.